Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Whimsy Inspiration - A Mini Tutorial for a Shape EZ Take Out Box!

Howdy - Today is the Whimsy Inspiration Blog - and for my inspiration today I decided to help out myself being behind with a few little presents for Christmas. And while doing it I thought I might show you just how fabulously easy the Whimsy Shape EZ patterns are to use.

So here is my finished Shape EZ Take out Box.


The perfect gift box! Now you can put a present in it. Or you can fill it with goodies, like Christmas Candy or Cookies. Start to finish I had this one done in under an hour, and that was with me watching tv... so you probably could do it in less time... it was a good movie so I kept stopping to look up and watch the good scenes. :0)

First you decide which Shape EZ you want to make.

When you go to the site, you will see what the image cuts out like. (Here it shows that there is a window in the pattern, I decided to not use the window so you can't see the present inside)


For the take out box you will cut out two of the shapes. Here are my two shapes cut out.



When you get the template, you have the choice of using them as JPG, PNG, PDF or SVG versions. So no matter how you cut out your projects you can use these templates. Now in the beginning I would print mine directly onto the papers I was cutting or if planning to make more than one I would make a chipboard pattern to use. Then I hand cut my pieces. Recently I got the Silhouette Cameo. So I have been learning how to use the SVG files and cutting on the Cameo. Loving that :0)

Ok back to the take out box. I cut out the two main pieces. Then you also get the patterns to cut the overlay pattern pieces so everything is sized to fit. Here are all the pieces laid out.


 The next step I do is to score my fold lines. Easiest way I have found is using my Score Pal. There are tiny little notches where your fold lines are. I line up the notches on the score pal and then create the fold score lines. (Make sure you lay out your pieces the way the connect together and score the right direction, yes... experience talking, I scored one of mine the wrong direction. No big mistake really, just have to score the other direction carefully)


Then I add double sided tape to the flaps and put the pieces together.


Once the sides are together, then you fold in the bottom, and then the top -


 The overlay pieces simply glue to the sides. I inked the edges of mine before glueing them on. Then it was on to "decorating" the top.


I totally fell in love with the new Poinsettia images from Dana's Digi's. Gorgeous image for Christmas! Now I wanted to have a bit of pop to mine, so I printed it out three times, colored with my Copics, then cut out layers.

Once cut out there are pop dots between each layer and I curled up the petals to give a more vintage "real" look. Well at least that was the goal. Then I added a few Martha Stewart leaves and branches, and a few blingy things that I found in my stash. The center I used a Viva Decor Yellow Pearl Paper pen to have some added sparkle. Oh and I used a velcro dot to "close" the top. That way the box can be opened and then closed again easily.

Seriously this box was super easy to put together, and adding the Whimsy image to the top was a great embellishment.

Here is the finished box again -


 Wouldn't you like to know what goodies are inside? LOL me too... haven't totally made up my mind on what I am making yet for the sweets this year. Told you I have been running late, today I am going to grocery store so guess I have to narrow down so I can get the ingredients.

Have you visited the Whimsy Store and seen all the Shape EZ templates? Here is the link straight to them... HERE . There are boxes, cards and lots of fun things to make. And don't forget to head over to the Whimsy Inspirations Blog and see all the DT's "inspirations" they have created.

Better get all the critters fed breakfast, then get dressed and out the door to get my errands run and groceries.

Have a wonderful Wednesday -
HUGS and-



3 comments:

Maryann Laursen said...

I just love your box here,it´s such a beautiful way to wrap any small gift for christmas and many other occasions too ofcause.

Carol Dee said...

Beautiful gift box. Perfect for treats and trinkets. Hugs...

Cynde said...

Beautiful box Michelle. I finally got moved and set up w/ computer. My other one doesn't work after the move. Guess the movers weren't as careful as they appeared. Anyway love the box and Merry Christmas to you!!
Cynde