Saturday, July 8, 2023

Animal Crackers - Messy - Hay - Grapes

Howdy - 

A lot of fun going on this last week. Busy Busy Busy - First up is Old Miss Darlene enjoying her "Old People Food" as we call it. LoL... She LOVES it! As you can tell by her face!

Really enjoys it!  Oh Darlene ... that is not lady like! But she does love it and it is so good for her. Lots of minerals and vitamins to help her in her golden years.

 

Got a call that there was a small load of hay being baled. Yes Please! We always take advantage of any hay available. Gotta keep the hay barn full for all the fur children! 

And fresh cut hay is always a favorite around here!!! The three stooges were really into their breakfast.

But then there was Mallory who was really "IN" her breakfast! Fresh hay is very fluffy and soft though so you can't blame her.

Love that Crissy was just eating around her. mmmm fresh hay! 

My boy Sergio left his breakfast and was insisting on attention.  Really insisting.. Pushing the panels and making a lot of noise insisting! I'm coming Serg!

I love my little orphan guy! He is truly my big boy! oh and yes... I removed the hay from his nose. 

Then the other project this week that "we" tackled. 


 For over 20 years now we have talked about picking the wild mustang grapes that grow all over our road and property. You can't pick them until they are totally ripe. Well that is when everything eats them. And by the time we find them ripe they were pretty picked over - but gotta feed nature right? Well this last week Hubby came in and said its time for grapes! He grabbed two 5 gal. buckets and went grape picking! Now a lot of them are very high and you need a ladder. Not my place to be at all. But Hubby filled two buckets and then it was time to wash and make jelly!

Here is some of the jars from the batches we made in two afternoons. Takes time and lots of picking and stirring. Measuring and watching the clock. I was the assistant - this was Hubby's project. 

I love that we get to pull out the large pot! It was my Grandfather's. I never knew him. But my Grandma gave us the pot years and years ago. It was his Crawdad Boil pot. Or Crawfish... but around here they are Crawdads. Yuck to me, but some love them. But I am thrilled to be the keeper of the pot now and that it still has use! And the jelly... mmmm turned out so good! 

So do you can anything yummy? We've done a few kinds of jelly and jams over the years. We tried pickles a couple of times. And Hubby has done all types of peppers - he is never allowed to do Habanero Peppers again. Took forever to get the burning smell out of the house! WOW they were spicy hot! 

I'm more of the yummy fruit jelly type! And this grape is wonderful. 

Hope you enjoyed this week - and I do hope you have some special time planned this week with family, friends or fur children! 

HUGS and -

2 comments:

Carol Dee said...

Wild grapes in these parts are called Muscadine grapes. We do grow concord grapes and tend to lose about 1/2 to birds and other wildlife. This year our Nanking cherry bush provided enough to make a batch of jelly. YUM.
I do not do ladders either. But jam and jelly making falls to me. Which is fine. The peaches look good so we will make more peach jam too.

Niki said...

i used to make peach jam when I lived in Colorado, can't beat the Colorado peaches. And really good with some pineapple thrown in. I also have made bread and butter pickles, my favorite. I made dill pickles once, but they were more trouble and not as good. Thanks for sharing all you fun baby pics!