Saturday, October 21, 2017

Animal Crackers - Nice Weather

Howdy -

Oh my the weather has been so nice here this week! Everyone has loved the cool mornings, and nice afternoons. So lots of laying around and enjoying the absolutely perfect weather.


Jill was chewing her cud and just chillin'. Such a sweet lady and so laid back - in relaxing and in her personality.

Her 1/2 sister Sandy - she was on top of one of the huts. Same condition. Eyes closed, chewing her cud. Beautiful coloring on her. And again sweet personality.


Crissy is Jill's baby.. all grown up now and she is SO much like her Momma. She came over for some head scratches. Sometimes Head scratches are better than afternoon naps. And you cannot say no to those big brown eyes!


Black Jack seemed to be snoozing as well.


As much as I have seen donkeys sleep standing up I still don't get it. Doesn't look easy to do -  I would fall over for sure! But they seem to be pros at it. I called out to my old man, but he was in the zone and sleeping pretty good. Not interested.

I know this is probably the only way I show you photographs of Spartacus... but seriously he totally cracks me up. This was late yesterday afternoon.



He found a small pile of hay left over from breakfast and decided that wearing it was better than eating it. So fashionable isn't he. All he needs is a runway and some lights and it would become high fashion I am sure!

Some really sad news. All our wonderful Guineas... this is all that we have not. One Guinea.


 One night last week something got to them. Including Old Lady Guinea. No tracks just piles of feathers. We have come to the conclusion that it was an owl. We have been so depressed. Hubby especially crushed as he is so attached to his birds. So after loosing so many the last Guinea is now living in the chicken hut. Not to happy about it, but safe. Odd thing is that we have had Guineas in with the goats for over 4 years and never had one issue. And now all at once - gone. So Lonesome Charlie as Hubby and named this little one is now in the chicken coop and has found that she or he can get up on the roof of the hut away from those silly chickens. We are looking for some new guinea keets to raise and he has plans of a larger hut that he will train them to go into at night so they can roam with the goats during the day. May have to wait until Spring as we aren't finding any available this time of year. So very sad.

I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed weekend, hug something furry or feathered and enjoy them!

HUGS and

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Awww... that stinks about the guineas and I know you miss them.
Spartacus is a hoot and I like that picture... he looks a bit like one of those commandos who disguise themselves by putting branches of leaves on the tops of their helmets.

PaperSunshine said...

Awwww I am so sorry. Nature, what can you do? Loved your snoozy cud chewing relaxing fur Babies!

okienurse said...

Love those goats beards! Spartacus is awesome in that picture! He is camouflaged and hidden from his adversaries! A straw hat! Too cute. So sorry to hear about your Guineas! That is a lot of birds for a single critter to take down. My grandparents had guineafowl and they were they best alarms ever...sun came up they talked and squawked until someone let them out of their roost and they continued the squawked the rest of the day. Come night they squawked to be let in to bed and in they went! A pack of dogs decimated their flock one year hence the pen for them. I hope you can find some. Life on the farm isn't easy.

~* Jay Jay *~ said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the Guineas :( Poor birds! I really hope you'll find some new little ones soon.

Hugs,
Jay Jay

Carol Dee said...

I am so sorry about the Guineas , it is a constant worry with the 4 chickens we have. I know how attached you and DH are to all you furry and feather babies. Hugs...

BethW said...

I am so so sorry for your terrible loss. My heart and tears are with you.

Karen @ Misplaced Mojo said...

OMGosh, Spartacus is a hoot! Almost didn't see him there... Love his camouflage!!! All the sleepie furbabies are so sweet too, especially Black Jack. I envy him being able to sleep standing up. That would be so handy when the line gets long at the post office. LOL And I'm so, so sorry to hear about your Guineas! How traumatizing to lose so many in one night, but I agree that it was likely an owl. So sad. Hopefully Charlie will learn to like the chickens!