Sunday, June 15, 2014

Gardening Sunday - Mmm Mmm Good!

Howdy -

This week we have been ENJOYING the garden! Of course everyone is enjoying squash and zucchini still... oh my... but finally we are enjoying the tomatoes! For real!


This is one day's gatherings of the little tomatoes - Dinner that night was chilled tomatoes with cottage cheese and fresh bread!


Now yesterday we gathered the first batch of Cherokee Tomatoes I told you about last week.


Now please don't judge! These things are SOO good. Ugly yes... But so yummy!  Heirlooms have flavor instead of looks that is for sure!

This week's Watermelon photo. The garden is so huge and overgrown due to all the rain we have had, they are getting hard to spot right off... Hubby says there are larger ones out there but I wasn't so keen on moving around things... still a bit snake shook. LOL


Don't believe me on the growth... take a look at the Squash...


Hubby looks so small out there in the middle of them! LOL

Still working on "different" recipes with the squash and zucchini. Some friends made stuffed zucchini, it was really good. So I went out looking for a recipe online to make it myself the other night.

Didn't want to head into town for just a few ingredients so I worked on my own recipe... working with what I had on hand.  Took some from one, then other things from another until I basically was just going it on my own.

Actually turned out really good!  Not pretty for the cover of a cooking magazine, but was really good.


Here is what my recipe ended up with -

Two zucchini's cut in half length wise. Scoop out the insides into a bowl leaving about 1/4 of an inch "boat". Place the boats upside down on a microwave plate - microwave with at wet paper towel over them for 3-4 minutes. Set aside -

Cook about 8 oz breakfast sausage in a skillet. ( I used 1/2 of a Jimmy Dean Original tube )Remove from skillet.
Chop 1/2 - 3/4  cup onion and put in skillet with chopped up zucchini insides. Cook until light brown. Add 1 can of Diced Tomatoes with Italian Spices.
Add 1/2 a tube of saltine crackers all "smooshed" up.
Add sausage back to pan, stir well. Remove from heat let sit a couple of minutes.
Add two eggs mixed well. Stir.
Add 1/2 shredded Parmesan cheese. Stir.

Put in "boats" In a baking dish sprayed with pam or something like that. Add a little more cheese on top.

Bake at pre heated 375 oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese starts to brown.

Really is good! I think I might try spicy breakfast sausage next time.

Hope you have a great Sunday planned. A Happy Father's Day with family.
HUGS and

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

I guess it's true what they say - things ARE bigger in Texas!! :) I've just finished breakfast here in grey, chilly Kent, UK, but looking at your photos has made me hungry again. I'm fascinated by those Cherokee tomatoes, I bet they're delicious & the stuffed zucchinis look great.

Carol Dee said...

WOW, that is some Impressive garden! Looks like a lot of work. (And reward.) I think I will try your recipe when the zucs are ready here. So far we are only starting to bloom. It is fun watching your watermelon grow. They do not do well for use for what ever reason. *sigh* We grew a sugar baby one summer that was only about 2-3 inches across! ;) Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Carol Dee said...

WOW, that is some Impressive garden! Looks like a lot of work. (And reward.) I think I will try your recipe when the zucs are ready here. So far we are only starting to bloom. It is fun watching your watermelon grow. They do not do well for use for what ever reason. *sigh* We grew a sugar baby one summer that was only about 2-3 inches across! ;) Enjoy the rest of your weekend.