Saturday, August 10, 2013

Animal Crackers - Breakfast is more important

Howdy -

Now I thought that I would fight the blah hot photos and get up yesterday and head out early with hubby and get some morning photos for today... didn't work out quite like I planned cuz no one was interested in me they wanted breakfast and nothing else.

I did get a glance from a couple of the young girls.. but no one budged to come say hello to me....


The guineas were not impressed by my clucking to get their attention...


But they have to eat their feed quick as the goats try and pick it out and eat it too... so far Crissy was the only one that knew I had thrown it in.

Libbie didn't like my clucking either... that just gets her all nuts and she goes crazy barking at the guineas...

 They pay no attention to her... they are bigger than she is and really don't care as she is on the other side of the fence anyway... but she still thinks she is telling them off! And it makes her feel like she is doing her job in life.

Patty looked up for 1/2 a second - with a little snort while chewing.


But there isn't really much competition to eat breakfast in this pen as there are only three donkeys. Patty and Ellie Mae are good friends and share well. Black Jack has to stand aside and wait until the girls tell him it is ok to join them and eat. Shh... don't tell the girls but Hubby usually sneaks a small piece to Black Jack on the side....

OH WAIT... Frankie left his breakfast and came to say hi!!!!


 Now actually he brought most of it with him, as it is really fabulous to roll around in your breakfast while it is fresh. Now if I smelled even 1/10th as bad as Frankie does I don't think I would want my breakfast to smell like me, but then again maybe the rolling around is to mask his smell with a hay smell. Man he is rank this time of year. Went out yesterday afternoon and you almost have to hold your breath to walk by and say hello. And he always comes to the fence to get a pet. I use one finger and only scratch the end of his nose... then I hold my finger out and don't touch anything until I can get inside and use Hubby's really nasty skin removing harsh soap. As it is the only thing to remove the smell. Yes he is that smelly... and really you don't want me to go into the details of why... really.


Then I found Frankie's daughter Malory...


she has decided that the best way to protect your share of hay is to nuzzle down into it. Comfortable and still having breakfast. Now is that breakfast in bed? Or bed for breakfast? BTW... the goats had left her to go and see if what the Guineas had was better. It wasn't and they were all back pretty quick.

 Hubby has been working the past few days around the goat pens. First Peso got a new patio.


He needed shade, so he has the lower area to lounge and stay out of the sun. The top patio to get up high and see all of "the ladies". Then his hut is now up on a patio as well. This should help keep it from filling with water during rain, and keep the ants from making it their home. He was quite proud of his new bachelor's pad. But didn't show it here as ... breakfast was delivered...  Frankie got a new Condo Patio hut too... I think Hank is next... Hey wait all they guys are getting fancy huts first??? hmmmmm

Sergio was not interested in breakfast at all... or even slightly interested in me calling his name to get his attention away from what he did not need to be focused on...



Yes... he is really interested in the girls in the pen next to him... men....  Better get a good look now Sergio cuz I think "Dad" is just about ready to move all the young girls over to another pasture for a while. Still a little grass there, and there is nothing left in their pen. Just dirt and rocks... it is really hot and dry here.

Uh Oh... this is the look...

"PUT THE CAMERA DOWN AND GIVE US THE GOOD FEED NOW!!" I do what I am told when I get this look. LOL   They get their basic Laying crumbles feed... but I spoil them and also throw around sunflower seeds too..

I have three of the Reds laying now - and a couple more are thinking about it and following the others in the hut and going in and out the nesting boxes. So should be really having some eggs soon. Right now it takes a lot of days before a meal can be had. Wyandottes are still a little too young yet. And when they are ready I am a little concerned. They don't like hut... and will not go in it. So I am afraid they will start laying under the hut... not good! Not sure how to convince them to like the hut... hoping they will. I know I could force them in and then close up their door at night. But I wasn't doing that cuz the two groups of birds do get a little testy and didn't want a chicken fight in small spaces... sigh... wonder if I could talk Hubby into a second hut? LOL

Alrighty better get the day going. Meeting some friends for breakfast that we haven't seen in a while. Then off to get goat and chicken feed, then if there is anything left for us we will run by the grocery store... LOL kids have to have their food first you know!

Hope you have a great day -

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I can guess why Frankie smells so bad.... Say no more.:)
Great photos as always, love the one of Sergio, checking out the ladies.
Have a great weekend.

Redlady said...

loved all the pictures as usual and I even got to read this Saturday night. It's usually Sunday morning when I get my treat so I'm lucky today.
Hilda

Carol Dee said...

Hey, I understand! When the food is on, you can wait until I am fed to talk! LOL.
Everyone looks fit and healthy in spite of the heat I see you are all having there. Ugh.
Have a wonderful weekend, hugs....