Saturday, December 20, 2008

Almost Christmas Donkey Day

Well it is almost here... ready or not! At least the Donkeys are ready.. they love Christmas - not that they really know it is different from any other day. But they do enjoy Christmas, my family comes out - my Sister's three kids... yep lots of carrots for them. And that is what matters in life you know, lots of yummy carrots make it a great day for them.

Well I got up early this morning and went out and snapped a few photos. Wasn't really totally light yet so the flash kept coming on - I don't like the photos of them with the flash - washes them out.



First Today is Josephine "Josie" and her Momma Jolene "JoJo". She doesn't look like she has grown much - but she really has! Man she is just a tiny little donkey! And a real sweetie. This morning she ran up to Dad and wanted Donkey Hugs. She loves Donkey Hugs..... pushes as hard as she can. And then got a photo of her tail... wish I could have video taped this. It was going so fast I thought she was going to take off!














Then we have three of our little ladies. These three are all bred to Raffie (the dude in the background) Well I say that... but poor Ellie Mae in the middle has had trouble getting pregnant. She is over 6 years old and never gotten pregnant. But we are really hoping this is her year. She is so beautiful, well they are all beautiful. You can see in this photo that Lacey and Vickey both are getting their tummy's... Spring babies here!

My last photo today... My lovely Gloria... my black little girl. Yep black. She is so sun faded she is a red head for the winter. We call her our little orangutan... LOL... her face is just so cute! All the donkeys have really gotten woolly... we are suppose to be really cold here this coming week. Well cold for here anyway. They have all gotten really thick fur, but I think Gloria wins for thickest coat.

Hope you enjoyed Donkey Day - I hope to do a few post this coming week. I have a few presents I want to show and I actually made a card for fun!!! Needed some pure stamping fun. Last night I was going to look for a piece of paper, 2 hours later I had sorted and cleaned up all my papers. Didn't get any crafting done, but my paper stash looks a whole lot better!

Hope you have a wonderful week, and next weeks Donkey Day photos will probably be from Christmas Day with the kids visiting!

HUGS and-

17 comments:

Chris (catt871) said...

Josie is so cute!!!! I'm so jealous that your hubby is in SHORTS!!!!! It is -36 Celsius here (about -32 F I think!) GOOD LORD!!!!!

Donalda said...

Oh they are just so cute dear.

retiredheather said...

I do so enjoy your donkey tales. I would love to actually touch them. They look so wonderful. Merry Christmas to all the donkeys and to your family.
Happy Holidays
Heather

TA Carbone said...

Michelle is it that warm where you are that your husband is in shorts? The donkeys are all beautiful :) Have to ask though do they all get their winter coats like Gloria has as I notice she doesn't have much on the face. Over here the horses get winter coats even on their faces. Never forget how cute my horses were in the winter time. Boy do I miss them

TA
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com

Jilli said...

Aww bless, they're all so cute! Jillix

Linda Crowder said...

Thanks for the great photos. I send your newsletter each time to my friend in Palestine, Tx. She is the wife (and my cousin) of the veterinarian I first worked for, and who trained me. They still have a large equine practice just outside of Palestine. Thanks for all the great photos! Linda Crowder

christina d said...

As usual the photos are great. The donkeys are adorable and really ready for winter. Have a great Christmas!

Donkey Lovin' Woman said...

To TA Carbone - in answer to your question about Gloria. She's still quite young I would guess by her tail and look, and young donkeys get the adult fuzzy coat times five. Also, donkeys have the ability to fluff up their coats for extra warmth - the hair literally sticks up and out away from them. It looks to me like it would be colder, but it isn't. Anyway, my point about that is that when they do that, their whole body - except for the nose and around the eyes - fluffs up. And I've noticed in my little teeny herd that the darkest donkeys are the ones that fluff the most for some odd reason. It is one of the most adorable things I've ever witnessed. In fact, we commented on how cute our little Chloe is when she "fuffs up" so much that she now does it just to get attention!! LOL. It's funny how my mule gets a combo of horse and donkey winter coat. Makes her look a little odd actually in the winter, which is a shame because she's a really beautiful mule. Just looks moth-eaten between October and May. But she does get face fuzz like the horses.

And retired Heather - yes, touching them - especially the babies - is SOOOOO wonderful - they're so soft. I need a donkey foal fix, I think. :-) All these pics here Michelle are making me want to hug a fuzzy baby donkey big time.

Michelle - you mention your 6 year old that has never conceived. I have one here that is now 13 and we got her because she was never able to conceive at the breeders we got her from. Actually she did once, but she aborted early. I've wondered a lot about why, and I'm thinking now that it's her thyroid -- she is now on thyroid medication. But I'm not going to breed her. I just wanted to throw that out there in case you want to have Ellie Mae's thyroid checked.

Finally - I laughed at your organizing binge. I do that all the time. Or I go up to get something for one project only to get distracted by some stamp I just bought and think of another project....hmmm...is THAT why I never get any projects done?? LOL.

Becky said...

great photos, thanks for sharing. They are all so adorable. You are so blessed to have all these beautiful creatures. :)

Ila said...

These photos are just the Cutest..especially love the donkey hugs!!..Thanks for sharing!!...Happy Holidays!!...Hugs Ila

Annie said...

love the donkey pics Michelle - and Gloria is looking so fluffy and orange, it must be too many carrots! hugs, annie x

Heidi said...

Oh my Josie is the adorable(ist)- so tiny. But I was hoping to see my little buddy Freddie! Those coats are so full- but I noticed that daddy had on shorts!

Kelly L said...

Aww, they are all SO beautiful, but I agree -- Josie is just the sweetest little thing!! I would LOVE donkey hugs. Maybe we could trade sometime (an alpaca cria nuzzle for a baby donkey hug) LOL ;) Kelly

debby4000 said...

I love Donkey Day photos, they're so cute.

Sally said...

Love your donkey day photos. You certainly can't wear shorts here today. 16 degrees.

DawnMarie said...

Hi Michelle, hope you, hubby and all your furry babies have a great Christmas and New Year. DawnM.x

Cynde said...

They are all so adorable!! Love Glorias hair all fluffy and how it surrounds her face diwn to her eyes...Looks like shes dressed up in a fluffy suit. Baby Josie is so adorable. It's sweet how she just "Bomb Dives Dad" for her hugs. Cracks me up, and she is sooo tiny..Tooo Cute!!!
Have a great Christmas with your Family.
Cynde