Friday, May 4, 2012

Me and My Space - Coolest Vintage Ribbon Storage EVER!

I have been so excited to share this with you! This has to be the coolest Vintage Ribbon Storage EVER! And I am very lucky that I was able to see the possibilities of it while at auction.

This is an antique Pharmacy Medicine Label Cabinet.

Seriously - Cool huh? I saw this cabinet at an auction, and I told Hubby that I HAD to have it. He looked at me like I had lost my marbles. I tried to explain to him how I thought it worked, I couldn't actually get my hands on it to make sure. But I was almost sure that it would work like it did in my head... LOL Anyway we got it! Paid a little more than I had set my limit for. Isn't that the way it always is at auctions. But I won and that was all I cared about. When we got it home I was thrilled.

It has 4 drawers. And in each drawer are slots with metal spring loaded tabs that stick out of the front of the cabinet. This is so the rolls of pharmacy labels can stick out and can be torn off when needed, fast and organized. Here is the inside of one of the drawers with the labels still in it... Yes... it still had ALL the labels inside! And this thing dates early 1900's!
Ok, now can you see it? The rolls run under the copper tabs and out the front of the drawers. There are like 62 slots total. Now since most of my ribbons are smaller than the width of the labels I was able to put 3 ribbons in most of the slots. Giving me a total of 152 Ribbons in this cabinet!!!! Sad that barely touches my ribbon stash, LOL, but my favorites are now all stored on my desk in this totally awesome antique cabinet!

And now I have all these totally cool old pharmacy labels. I am going to probably sell most all of them. Once I snag a few for "just in case" I want to use them some day. :0)

Now my big decision is should I leave the original cardboard titles on the drawers? I am one that likes originality, but it would be totally cute to put lace or something across each drawer. I don't know for now I am just leaving it. And totally enjoying it.

I have to show it again....

Ok... have to go and have a happy dance now :0)

See you tomorrow - I have something super SPECIAL to show you for Animal Crackers -
HUGS and

14 comments:

Unknown said...

wow thats brilliant...what a find and well worth any money..clever you for seeing the potential...what a asset...lucky you its a treasure and the labels what a bonus...sassyx

Karen McAlpine said...

Wow!! Awesome!!!

TA Carbone said...

LOVE IT< LOVE IT< LOVE IT
Ok would like 2 of each labels please :) Let me know the costs privately please

Hugs
Enjoy
:)
TA

NinaN said...

Oh my WOW! That is the best ribbon storage ever!

Dee in N.H. said...

That is the coolest ribbon storage that I have ever seen!!!! That's fabulous!!

Helen said...

WOW, this is awesome! Great storage cabinet. Can't wait till tomorrow to see what you have for us in animal crackers. Hugs

okienurse said...

Now I thought that cabinet your husband refinished was awesomest thing ever but now...well I guess the sentiment behind the handme down cabinet still keeps it in number one slot but this one is just as awesome! Good find. Being a nurse I would have loved to have found something like this to just sit around but... I think I am going to start looking for the craft room. When you decide to sell the labels let me know I would like to buy some. okienurse@gmail.com
You always have such good ideas! Vickie

Kirsten Alicia said...

Ooooh, that's so cool!!!!!

JoanieMc said...

Oh, Michelle, that is the coolest ever! What a magnificent idea! I love it. Gosh, I can't imagine how excited you were to see this and be able to get it even if a little pricey! I am so excited too!!! It's just awesome. Congrats on your great purchase!

Hugs
Joanie

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

Wow, what a fabulous find! I'd keep the tabs, the rolls, and all. That it such a wonderful find. Your hubby is the best!

Shelly said...

That is the most fantastic storage unit ever!!! Kudos to you for spotting it's potential. I'd have to leave the labels on the front if it were mine. They add so much to the piece.

Mindy said...

Wow, what an treasure you have found! Ribbons seems to fit/work perfectly in it.
And those labels... want some of them. Cause I'm a pharmacist and love all old stuff.
Lucky, we don't have any room to collect old furniture ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi its Sam here from cold England I just Love that Fantastic piece of Furniture all that beautiful ribbon I'd love to check out your workroom.
Kind Regards From Sam x

Heidi Brawley said...

WOW This is a really nifty find!!! Lucky you!!!
hugs, Heidi