Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tissue Anyone?

Something very different again - I found a wood tissue box cover at Hobby Lobby the other day. And thought it would make a great Mother's Day Gift for my MIL... she always wants her boxes to match her room... and we go from store to store and look for the right color boxes. So I thought, this would make sure that any box she buys will match her room!  Her room is a antique looking wall paper with dark red roses, and then sage green trim and curtains -

So this was a plain wood box. (should have taken a before photo huh?) I painted it with Making Memories sage green colored paint and let it dry. Then I sanded all the edges to give it a worn antique look. Now this wood is really white new looking, so I took a Ranger Distress Ink and a sponge and rubbed the entire box... really warmed it all up and gave it a great color. I colored three Sarah Kay images with my Copics, then tore them out and inked the edges of them.
I then went through my stash of Rub-on transfers. I have a bunch of these from Fancy Pants and My Minds Eye that I have had for YEARS... I picked out a handful of them and well... rubbed them on the box. :0)  I also had just got some of the new K&Co. Tim Coffie Die Cuts - really gorgeous butterflies, bees and flowers in this package. I picked a few of them and a few border strips from the same collection and placed them on the box. I glued all the die cuts and the images down with Modge Podge.

I then gave the whole box a layer of the Modge Podge  - twice.  I was really happy with how it came out.

The ends I kept simple with just three butterflies on each end. See that bar on the bottom? That slides out to remove the bottom so you can put the box inside.

I had planned to give this to her for Mother's Day - but I went ahead and gave it to her :0)  

The antique look turned out perfect, I didn't want it to look "new" - I think I may have to go and purchase another blank box and make one of these for me in blue to match my craft room!

Have a great day!
HUGS and-



4 comments:

ScrappinCntryGrl said...

i love it....i need to make some for my hunny, with fluer de lis

Cynde said...

Michele the box you made for your Mother-in-law is so very pretty. I'm sure she loved it. Your so funny to have already given it to her! I do that too with gifts if the recipient lives close enough!
It is beautiful!

Janice said...

Too cute!! I love to do this with old (new) boxes! Last year I bought several boxes at Harry & David on clearance and I gave them all away. I will have to check out Hobby Lobby for these.

creationsncraftsbyarina said...

hello my name is arina and I come from the netherlands i love your bog
just beautifel.
i am now also a follower off your blog.
will you come and visite my to some day.
ps I like your drawing off the titel my favorite blogs and labels.
dit you draw it your self???
hugs from arina