Sunday, September 9, 2012

Me and My Space - FABULOUS FIND! and more Painted Furniture!

HI!- Sunday's are Me and My Space post, and today I have a couple of things to share. So first I have to share a super duper fabulous scream with excitement find!

Now you probably remember when I shared my children's toy canisters in the vintage toy kitchen cabinet and how I found a second set still in the box from 1927 - If not you can find that post  HERE.

For years since getting that first set I have dreamed of one day finding the inspiration for those toys. The real thing I guess you could say. Life size canisters that were from the early 1920's. I had one seen one or two individual ones on a blog once and a very horrible condition one on a auction once long ago. I have surfed for years trying to find even one canister to prove that one day I might hopefully own a set. I dreamed...

And then one day a couple of weeks ago there they were!!!! Seriously... ALL OF THEM!!!  AND EVEN BETTER.... THEY ARE NOW SITTING ON MY KITCHEN COUNTER!!! Sorry for the yelling but I am seriously excited about these!

But look...

Just makes me giggle seeing them! I stacked up my toy canisters... right next to MY new set of real canisters! Still pinching myself! Gorgeous huh? I have to say I have the best Hubby in the world. I nearly had a stroke when I found them, I just looked at him... he laughed and said better hurry and buy them before someone else does. Damn I am spoiled! :0) When we were setting them up I started to line them across the back of my counter, he came in the kitchen and took them all and stacked them back up. I spread them back out... he stacked them up. So since he was so great at getting them for me... I'll leave them stacked.... for now.

Now all I need is that matching bread box... Hey you have to have goals to go for. :0)

Ok subject number two - I thought I needed to show off another one of our pieces of furniture re-do projects!

I have told you about the Wonderful Chalk Paint that I read about and then hunted down. (First Post HERE)  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I got mine at HERE at a cute little shop called Woodland Cottage. Hubby and I are now regulars in this pretty store full of some really fun vintage things as well as must have things to decorate your house with. Oh they have the cutest purses made out of vintage cowboy boots, oh and she just got in this wing back arm chair that is upholstered in different fabrics that I just love... wait I am straying off subject... Chalk Paint....  We have now have collected I think 6 or 7 of the colors. Loving this stuff. In fact we have also gotten BFF,  Tracey hooked on the stuff... I have kidded her that if anything stays still around her she is going to paint it with chalk paint.  Ha! Anyway we are re-doing most of our major pieces in the house. When we moved out to the farm, we sold all of our furniture and purchased pieces that all matched. Was great. And we loved the look, but I get bored easily and I change things around pretty often. I haven't as much the past few years, had to many other things going on, job, animals, eye injuries,  but when Hubby said he was ready for change that was all I needed to hear and we went for it. So piece number two completed... my Donkey Collection Cabinet. 
Here is how it looked "before"... 

I LOVE this cabinet - It has so much display space, good size and I can use the top to show off things. BUT the bright green.. not so much. But that was how it came - and our living room was a green as well.. then we changed to a taupe color wall and that green started glowing in the dark. Really was bothering me.

The Donkey cabinet "after" with its new Chalk Paint....
Totally in love with it now! This is the yellow ochre color... with a heavy coat of dark wax over it. They yellow is scary... but the wax really does make it totally gorgeous! Now don't look inside the cabinet - SO FULL that it is about to bust open. That is on my list of things to do - clean and re-organize the donkeys. But life, and real donkeys have come first.. but I do plan to do it hopefully sooner than later. Oh.. on top of the cabinet. Donkeys I love, Tin Toys, Grandma's Mantle Clock and then hanging above it. One of Hubby's brother's paintings. I use to say this was my favorite of the ones we have.. but each time we get a new one I can't decide which I love more... usually it is the one I am standing looking at. He really does paint some GORGEOUS Landscapes. I keep telling them he needs a website to sell - they are really wonderful. 

Well better get things going. Regular Sunday - Breakfast with the locals, possibly the flea market for a little exercise while hunting down good bargins. Then home and hopefully moving around a few of the donkeys and fixing a fence that needs some attention. THEN I hope to sit and do some crafting. 

Hope you have a fun Sunday planned - Have a great one! 
HUGS and-


4 comments:

ednamburgess said...

Such great finds and you display them so nicely. Edna

judy anderson said...

I love the canisters. Too bad we didn't take a tour you have such interesting things. I think about our visit and am sooo glad I risk asking to visit. What a great memory for me.

Carol Dee said...

What a fun find, those canisters look to be in perfect condition. I agree your BIL is Very Good. I would love to see more. An Etsy store might go very well. He seems very talented.
You day sounds great, enjoy it, hugs...

Helen said...

They look great. Your joy is jumping of my screen. Have fun and enjoy yourself with these lovely things/findings.