Saturday, January 27, 2024

Animal Crackers - It ain't easy getting OLD!!

Howdy - 

This month has had some COLD COLD days! We are now back up to normal temps for us here. But the last couple of weeks have really had us wrapping up and Hubby working hard to keep animals fed, and water flowing and not freezing! The cold temps have been hard on a few of the older donkeys. We have been keeping a really close watch on Cocoa. She has been moving very very slow. 

 

I think the cold has her old joints aching. I know it has me feeling it! We have no real idea of how old Cocoa is. Guessing... somewhere between 25-35 maybe. This winter has been tough on her already. Hoping she takes it easy and gets through it with just some minor aches and pain and nothing more. 

And then our old guy Black Jack has had issues with his age and the cold. Hubby works very hard to keep weight on Black Jack. And with that keeping him warm. He is use to cold temps. He was born and raised in the north. In the past it was all about making sure the heat didn't get to him. Now with less weight, getting older and thinning fur, keeping him warm is the issue. So "Dad" found a small foal horse coat and tried to keep it on him.

 

Ok... it stayed "on" but was dragging, slid over to the side etc.  But it really did help him stay warm. Wish I had thought of taking a photo with it on him. But well... I didn't spend a lot of time outside it was freezing! We actually got as low as 14 one morning. And for Texas that is pretty cold. 

Black Jack did get use to the coat. All except the hook and loop strap. He DID NOT like that sound of pulling it loose. LOL

As I went out Friday to take photos... I waited and waited for the wet fog to clear up. At noon I just gave up and went out. Everyone was wet and nasty. But then I looked over to the car port - Hubby was gone and Valentine decided the dry covered spot was a nice place to get off his feet for a while!

Speaking of wet and nasty... oh my Alvin Jr. was NAAASTY! and STINKY!  Trust me - I zoomed for this photo!  

 

Normally a very handsome man - but now. Not So Much.... He needs a bath!

Walking towards the back I found Malory flirting with Domino - I love this photo!

Domino is trying to look so innocent but seconds before this he was snorting and banging his horns on the fencing! Then as soon as I held the camera up ... stop, pause and smile!

Had a chat with Bubba - he is such a love. And loves for me to have total attention on him. He is my boy for sure.


Handsome, sweet and loving. Unless he is chasing and attacking his sisters - typical brother right? 

Hope you enjoyed this week - have a smile - 

HUGS and -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write such nice comments about your animals. Photography is good as well. I so enjoy you weekly note.

Anonymous said...

You and Craig are wonderful parents.